Delicious

Last night, Mr. Kim took me out to run some errands between classes.  We missed dinner, so he took me to a place near his house called The Onigiri.  It was a small restaurant that appeared to be geared toward take-out, but we were able to grab one of the two dine-in tables.

The first thing that caught my eye was the design.  It was clean and modern, with light colors and no clutter.  My favorite detail was the way that they posted the hours of operation.

Mr. Kim told me to have a seat, and he ordered a meal for me.  Because we can’t communicate very well, I have learned to sit back, relax, and get ready for a surprise.  Fortunately, this time it was a good surprise.  He ordered Jamok-bop, a Japanese rice dish, for me.  The only way I can think to describe it is that it’s like a tuna melt and a sushi roll had a derricious (delicious) baby.

The soup that came with it was decent too.  Unfortunately, Mr. Kim still insists on ordering me only non-spicy dishes.  At least once a week I hear, “no worry, Wirriam.  I order you no spicy.”  At the school cafeteria, teachers often warn me: “carefur, it berry hot.”  I don’t know who told the Koreans that their food is the spiciest in the world – but they lied.  While there is some spicy food, I have yet to eat something really rocked my world.  And that’s saying a lot.  By American standards, I’m a whimp when it comes to spicy foods.

Last weekend, after the funeral, we went to dinner at a restaurant near a place called Yangji.  They serve a spicy fish soup that is amazing.  I was about halfway finished with my soup when someone realized that I had not been properly warned. A couple of the teachers told me to be careful, because it’s hot.  I KNOW HOW HOT IT IS….I’M EATING IT RIGHT NOW!  YOU JUST WATCHED ME PUT IT IN MY MOUTH!!!  Of course, I didn’t say that out loud.  I smiled, nodded, and kept eating it.  Later, I noticed that some of the Koreans were starting to sweat and drinking lots of water.  That’s when I realized that it really is super hot – to them.

Until next time.

-Taft

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Delicious

1. Stacey says:

This post is making me hungry. H8 U TAFT!

2. leaponover says:

I think the reason this “spicy” warning keeps occurring is for the benefit of the UK’ers Taft. My experience has been that anyone who complains about the spices in the food are from that region. I think, being from America, we are more accustomed to a wider range of palette’s because of the multiculturalism there. I moved here from TX and have had way more spicy Mexican foods than anything here. I’ve only had one encounter where it made my eyes and nose run and burned my mouth some and I just believe I got a batch of the food where the spices were concentrated.

I get the spicy warning all the time and it’s almost always a false alarm. Don’t get me wrong, there is definitely spices in the food and overall it’s more spicy than most cuisine but not the kind that’s going to be unpleasant for those who have experienced different cultures foods.

Agree or disagree?

• wtl0715 says:

I definitely agree. Though I’m sure there are some Korean novelty foods out there that are really hot, I doubt there is much here that could give Mexican a run for its money. I think you hit it on the head.

3. Ashley Ozery says:

I love Onigiri… it’s actually a chain! If you ever go back, here’s a translated menu:

• wtl0715 says:

Thanks, Ashley. That’s exactly what I needed! I asked my coteacher for the name of what I ordered and he told me, “derricious.” The second time I asked, he said, “Oh yes.” So the translated menu will come in handy.

4. diydumpling says:

Uh, is “derricious” what you all say down in South Cackalacky? Cuz if it’s not, it is primo offensive, bro.

• wtl0715 says:

It definitely wasn’t meant to offend. It’s a reference to my coteacher, nothing more. I wouldn’t have posted it if any of my office mates were offended by it – they all read my blog. Please see edited title.

• diydumpling says:

Noted. But your line, “I don’t know who told the Koreans that their food is the spiciest in the world – but they lied” is pretty extreme. I don’t think Koreans go around crowing that Korean food is the spiciest in the world. Perhaps they are being thoughtful due to to previous experiences taking out people who cannot tolerate spicy food.

I hope you have a rewarding experience travelling and working in Asia. It is a life changing experience not everyone gets to have.

Best,
        diydumpling

• wtl0715 says:

I’m afraid I may not be able to make you happy here. That’s just my brand of sarcasm – not to be taken too literally. I appreciate you reading and commenting nonetheless.

Korea has been and is an amazing experience. The country is beautiful and the people have been nothing but wonderful. I am excited about learning more as I go along.

• diydumpling says:

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree there as one man’s sarcasm is one woman’s offensive, if glib, remark.

But we can both agree that Korea and its people can be beautiful, indeed. So best of luck to you on your journey.

5. Detetiv says:

Hmmm, I wonder if I can find a place that makes Jamok-bop in the city… [NYC] I would have to check in Chinatown/Little Japan/Little Korea but would not be as authentic as what you had!